This tiny, tasty fruit is chock full of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. It’s like nature’s gift to health-conscious people, perfectly packaged in a beautiful deep blue exterior.
Yes, blueberries are good for you. Yes, they taste great. Yes, you probably eat them whenever they’re convenient. But did you know that eating blueberries every day can improve your energy, keep you looking younger longer and help you lose weight?
That’s right, the blueberry— in all its little round glory—is a food that deserves to be a part of your daily diet. Here are 10 reasons why:
1) Your belly. Even if you’ve never heard of catechins, you’re going to want to eat them. That’s because these natural antioxidants, which are plentiful in blueberries, activate your fat-burning genes in the stomach area. That’s right, eating blueberries can help you achieve the elusive six-pack abs.
2) Your brain. You’ve only got one brain, so you might as well do everything you can to protect it—and that includes eating blueberries. Blueberries contain phytonutrients called proanthocyanidins, which help protect your brains watery and fatty tissues against damage caused by environmental toxins.
3) Your youthful appearance. If you don’t want to wrinkle (and who does?), then you want to eat blueberries. The same proanthocyanidins that help protect your brain will help keep your skin looking young and wrinkle-free.
4) Your memory and motor skills. Studies have shown that animals that are given a blueberry extract have better memories and less motor-skill decline due to aging than those not fed blueberry extract.
5) Your fight against cancer. Blueberries are full of ellagic acid. Ellagic acid is a proven cancer fighter.
6) Your allergies. If you’re tired of sneezing your way through allergy season, try eating a hand full of blueberries every day. They include a lot of quercetin—another powerful phytonutrient—which may reduce the severity of your allergies.
7) Your aching knees, back or head. Who needs aspirin when you can just down a handful of blueberries? Eating the tiny blue treats puts salicylic acid into your system. Salicylic acid is the natural form of aspirin.
8) Your mood. Want to be in a better mood? Eat blueberries, which contain dopamine. Dopamine is a natural neurotransmitter that tells your mind (and body) that life is good and the day is great.
9) Your diet. You try hard to eat a healthy, balanced diet. But sometimes getting all the vitamins and minerals you need can be difficult. Not if you eat blueberries, which are full of a lot of the things your body (and brain) need to function properly: iron, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, folate and vitamins C and E.
10) Your taste buds. How can something that tastes so great be so good for you? Who knows? Just enjoy it—every day!