Most people can agree that music makes workouts generally more awesome. According to Dr. Costas Karageorghis, specific music can increase endurance and make your cardiovascular workouts more enjoyable.
Len Kravitz, Ph.D, suggests that music can do 4 things for your workouts.
- Motivate with your music. Studies have shown that people will push themselves harder when they have music with a fast tempo.
- Improve your endurance. If you are doing cardio, like running or cycling, try listening to music with a faster tempo. Studies suggest that this will help you get through the tough spots in your workout. When you start to struggle, switch to an upbeat tune.
- Relax during high intensity. Music has been shown to lessen some of the by products associated with high intensity exercise, like acidosis and elevating hormone levels. By lessening these, it allows you to keep up your endurance.
- Improve your motor coordination. Research has presented that exercise with a rhythm allows for the person exercising to increase their motor coordination. This rhythmic component is music of course!
So, what music is the right music? That depends on the types of workouts you’re doing. If cardio is your main workout make sure your songs have a faster tempo. Your body will naturally try to match pace with the tempo of the music, so the more upbeat the music, the harder you’ll push yourself. If you’re more into yoga and pilates, then a slower paced musical selection is exactly what you need. Relaxation is the key for these workouts, so choose music with slower tempos to help calm you.
Here’s a list of tunes on Bulugans’ workout playlists! Thanks for sharing your songs!
- Free – Graffiti6
- Skrillex – Breakin’ a Sweat
- Till I Collapse – Eminem
- Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore
- Change – John Waite
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Pump up the Jam – Technotronic
- New Workout Plan – Kanye West
- SOS – Rihanna
- Turn It Up – Stevie Stone
- Double-Wide Dream – Casey Donahew Band
- Dancing on My Own – Robyn
- Giving up the Gun – Vampire Weekend
- Va Va Voom – Nicki Minaj
- Hair of The Dog – Nazareth
- All Day – Girl Talk
- I Can Only Imagine – David Guetta
- Angel Blue – Green Day
- Rock Lobster – The B-52’s
- Good Time – Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen
What’s your favorite pump up song?