What’s all this hype about probiotics? It’s not just a buzz word. Just look at the word itself to find out how cool this stuff is. “Pro” means “to promote” and “biotic” means “life”, thus probiotic literally means “to promote life”. Learn more about these amazing benefits of probiotics with help from our friends at Aspen Pure and bùcha Live Kombucha!
What exactly are probiotics?
Probiotics are living microorganisms that are naturally found in the human intestinal tract that help to maintain the natural balance of bacteria. There are 400 types of probiotic bacteria living inside your intestine that reduce the growth of harmful bacteria and promote a healthy digestive system. When our digestive system is healthy, it filters out harmful bacteria, toxins, chemicals and other waste products, and takes in the things our body needs and delivers them to cells. So when your digestive system is working properly, you feel fantastic!
Got a gut feeling?
Have you ever been told to go with your “gut feeling”? This is because there are networks of neurons lining our gut that are so extensive that it has actually been called our “second brain”. When your stomach is out of whack, so are you! So how do probiotics come into play? Well, probiotics keep the balance between good and bad bacteria in your gut so that your digestive system is working like a well-oiled machine and you feel uhh-mazing.
What is your gut telling you?
When there are more bad bacteria than good, you often get symptoms of diarrhea, gas, cramping, urinary tract infections, muscle pains, fatigue, irritability, and for women, vaginal yeast infections. This balance can be affected by a change in diet, a change in environment, certain medications and antibiotics. To get back to a healthy balance of good and bad bacteria in your gut, all you need are some probiotics. Dr. Challa, renowned Gastroenterologist and author of Probiotics for Dummies says “Probiotics are the next vitamins and everyone should be taking them. At the very least, everyone with digestive problems should be on probiotics.” You can get probiotics in a variety of ways:
- Probiotic supplements and even probiotic water like Aspen Pure.
- Yogurt. Any labels that say it has “live and active cultures” are the way to go.
- Kombucha tea like bùcha. Made from all natural and organic ingredients, búcha is the best tasting kombucha on the planet. It is the only one with a clean, complex and rounded finish and no nasty vinegar aftertaste. búcha offers a smart alternative to the other nutritionally empty sugary beverages.
- Miso Soup. This is high in protein and high in probiotics and still low in calories. What more can you ask for?
- Kefir. This cross between milk and yogurt is packed with probiotics and vitamins and can be found in most local grocery stores.
- Dark Chocolate. Along with the high amount of antioxidants, we now have another reason to indulge in something that is actually good for us.
Not completely sold on this awesome microorganism? Well, listen to this; probiotics have been recommended to help control Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and prevent infections in the digestion tract. They have also been shown to delay the development in allergies in children, treat and prevent vaginal and urinary tract infections in women and contribute to immune functions. How cool is that!? Now, is your gut telling you it needs some TLC? Give it some probiotics and feel the shift from feeling sluggish to feeling like you can take on anything.
Looking for a clean and refreshing way to get your daily dose of probiotics? Check out Aspen Pure for a tasteless, pH balanced probiotic water from New Age Beverage. Or, if you're looking for a tasty, probiotic-filled alternative to soft drinks check out bùcha - a live kombucha tea with no vinegar aftertaste!